Your floors are definitely some of the dirtiest surfaces around your house, so it’s important that you give them a good scrub-down during your spring cleaning routine. Follow these easy cleaning techniques and your floors will shine and gleam like new.
- Start by sweeping and vacuuming. The first step to efficiently cleaning your floors is removing as much loose dirt and dust as possible. Sweep everything – from the living room to the kitchen – so you can remove the top layer of grime and dirt. You can also do a round of vacuuming, which is especially important for carpeted floors. Sweeping and vacuuming can get rid of the dust, debris, mold spores, and other nasty things lodged in carpet fiber and between tiles.
- Scrub out stains. Diluted mild detergent or floor cleaner can help get rid of most stains on ceramic tile and hardwood floors. Carpets are a little trickier to clean. You can apply white vinegar to your carpet and use lots of elbow grease to get rid of the more deep-seated stains. A solution of lemon juice and salt can also prove to be effective for light-colored carpets. Carpet smelling a little funky? Sprinkle a mixture of baking soda, borax, and cornmeal on the carpet and vacuum everything up after an hour.
- Move your furniture around to clean every inch of floor. Move your furniture around so you can get to all those hidden spots, which may be stained from spills. Rearranging your furniture also prevents fading from exposure to sunlight and helps even out wear and tear, which is easier on your floors.
- Run your steam cleaner everywhere. A steam cleaner can be a godsend for your spring cleaning routine. Run a steam cleaner over all your floors so you can remove bacteria that traditional mopping can’t get. Most steam cleaners also don’t require the use of harmful detergents, which makes the house safer for your kids and pets. Plus, with a steam cleaner, you won’t need to scrub stains out; the steam cleaner does the work for you.
- Finish off your floors with sealer or polish. A coat of sealer ensures that your floors get an added layer of protection from wear and tear. This is especially useful for kitchen floors. Hardwood floors benefit from a healthy coat of polish. This will keep your floors looking shiny and new.
Make sure the last leg of your spring cleaning routine is easy with a high-quality steam cleaner like the Shark S3550 Deluxe Steam Pocket Mop. Join a Power Deal for this steam cleaner and enjoy awesome discounts and savings!