We can all agree that motherhood is difficult, but there’s one mom that has it harder than the rest – Mother Earth. Fortunately, it’s not too late to make it up to her and start on the path to eco-friendliness. Here are 5 easy things you can do today to be more environment-friendly.
- Go solar. By switching to solar power, you can help further combat greenhouse gas emissions and lower the world’s collective dependence on fossil fuels. Using solar panel kits (like this 300W solar panel kit or this 100W solar starter kit from Renogy) make the transition easier, since these kits already contain all the components you need to start using solar power for your home.
- Install low-flow showerheads and dual-flush toilets. Do you know how much water you waste in the bathroom? Make every drop of water count by using low-flow showerheads and dual-flush toilets (a dual-flush toilet lets you use less water to get rid of liquid waste). And, while you’re fixing up your house’s plumbing, make sure you repair leaky faucets, too.
- Bring your own bag when you go out shopping. Plastic bags release toxic chemicals into soil and pose serious threats to animals in all ecosystems. Avoid using these horrible disposable plastic bags and start using reusable shopping bags instead. Doing this not only helps preserve the environment but can also earn you some pocket money; some retailers offer to pay customers for every disposable bag they don’t take.
- Go meat-free once a week. Data at worldwildlife.org states that producing a kilogram of beef takes 100,000 liters. By going meat-free once a week, you can do your share in reducing the demand for meat, which helps not only save water but also reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Use eco-friendly gadgets. No need to give up using technology to be more eco-friendly; just make sure you’re using the right gadgets. There’s a huge variety of eco-friendly gadgets for you to choose from, from energy-conserving televisions to solar-powered media players. You may even find that the best external hard drive for your computer is energy-efficient, too.